The new version of the Genesis Framework is out. Unveiled today it sports a shiny brand new theme.
Of course I was super excited to upgrade. :-) Who doesn’t love shiny new toys.
Things looked great after I updated my first site. Not a single hiccup.
I ran into some problems while upgrading another site though.
After I did the upgrade everything looked great on the backend. But for some reason when I visited the site all of the CSS had disappeared. Luckily it was not just a locally hosted development installation and not a live site.
There was nothing wrong with the rest of the theme. My custom post types were showing up as were the templates so I knew that all the php files were fine. The only problem was the CSS.
I downloaded and re-installed Genesis. I tried renaming all of the files. I tried a few other child themes and some of them worked but some didn’t. It was a frustrating.
After staring at the same wordpress themes folder for a few hours I finally noticed one thing that the broken themes had in common. The solution, as always, was extremely simple. When I created the child theme the name I gave to the folder had a space in it.
All I had to do was remove the space and It worked like a charm. Don’t ask me why this changed from 1.8 to 1.9.
Wasted half of my evening, but I found a solution. If you are having CSS issues after the upgrade try renaming your folder.